Monday, July 5, 2010

My Misconceptions

When preparing for my trip to Izmir I tried to go into with as little expectation or preconceived notions as possible as to what Turkey would be like. Easier said than done. No matter what, one has already established ideas and facts about a country, culture, population, etc. This is perhaps without even being aware of it. If you asked me what I thought Turkey would be like, a week or so ago, you'd think we were talking about a different country.

Misconception #1: Turkey is a Middle Eastern country.

Stemming from a bet I made with a friend, I was determined to figure out what category Turkey fell into: Europe or the Middle East. Whenever I ask a Turk this question their face seems to contort into almost a look of pain, because Turkey is really neither. Half of the country is touching Europe, the other half is touching the Middle East. This creates a really interesting dynamic in the country. Most of the population is of the Muslim faith and mosques are widespread. Five times a day I hear a Muslim prayer played over loudspeakers. Thanks to Wikipedia I found out it's called, Salah or Namaz in Turkish. Yet there are definite signs of modernity in Izmir, which is more the European influence, my host sister explained to me. Interestingly though, one woman I spoke to in the airport said that Turkish people will associate themselves more as Oriental, or asian, since they are east of Europe. So long story short, Turkey is a melting pot of cultures and influences and is up to interpretation on what is it to be considered.


Misconception #2: Turkish cuisine is of the Mediterranean cuisine consisting of hummus, olive oil, pita bread, etc.

In my experience so far, the Turkish cuisine consists of two main food groups: bread and meat. Not exactly a vegetarian's paradise. Not just any meat though, mostly beef, cooked on a big skewer (like lamb for gyros). Since there is such a huge Muslim influence on the country, pork is not served anywhere. Back at home in the US, I probably ate beef every couple of weeks or so. Now I eat it once or twice a day! Although it may not be my first choice, I am trying to adapt to the Turkish cuisine.


Misconception #3: Turkish people look Middle Eastern, i.e., olive skin and dark features.

I actually blend in, kind of! Which for people who don't know what I look this might seem like a funny statement, but I am very fair skinned. About 4 or 5 times already I have been mistaken as Turkish. But the only traits of mine that give away I'm not Turkish are my blue eyes and freckles. If Turkish people have light eyes they are usually green. In my opinion, this is yet another illustration of Turkey being a melting pot, European and Middle Eastern traits combined.  

No comments:

Post a Comment