Monday, July 12, 2010

Traditional Turkish Wedding

Not only was I lucky enough to go to one wedding, but two! And they were on the same night coincidentally, back-to-back. I took a video of a traditional Turkish dance. My host sister said most likely the dance was from eastern Turkey, where the groom was originally from. (Unfortunately the video decided it didn't want to load...)

What was most interesting to me was seeing how different cultures celebrate the union of two people. Same event, symbolizing the same meaning, but orchestrated in a very different manner. For example only one ring is exchanged in the Turkish tradition and it is when the couple is first engaged. So at the wedding, there was no walking down the aisle and another ring exchange at the alter like a traditional American wedding. It threw me off at first, I only knew the bride and groom had entered the room when I heard clapping erupt. In Turkey, the bride and groom walk in together and proceeds to a big fancy table. A government official and two witnesses (friends of the wedding party) join the couple at the table. They sign documents and then that is it, in terms of the marriage ceremony. Usually the reception consists of dancing and giving the bride and groom gifts. However not big extravagant gifts for a new house or fine dining sets but gold jewelry; the gold gifts are only given by family members or very good friends. Also at both the weddings no food or dinner was served, or drinks for that matter. In the U.S. I always think of weddings implying being wined and dined as guests. Like how I feel toward graduation parties. . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment